July 9, 2007

How to lose 100 pounds

After losing 94 pounds, there's just one question everyone has for me: how did you do it?

I thought I'd answer that question with the details of my journey for the past 10 months.

The easy answer is that I changed.

I changed everything. I changed how I thought about food. I changed how I ate. I changed what I ate. I changed how much I ate. I changed when I ate. I changed on what I read about food. I started this blog to encourage other people and to help change America.

I'm exactly the same husband, father and brother I always was, but I'm totally different than the obese alien that took over my body.

It must have been that alien that forced me to eat a large pizza 10 months and 1 day ago. My mind was saying stop, but those alien hands kept shoving that pizza in mouth.

That night I weighed myself (why?). Two hundred and ninety pounds. Just a biscuit (and gravy) away from 300 pounds. Morbidly obese.

I could play with my 6-year-old, but after five minutes I was tired. I’d love to do yard work, but after 10 minutes I’d have to rest. I hated to go any where. The seat belts on the plane were too tight. My shirts were too tight. My belt was too tight. Even my shoes were too tight.

That night 10 months ago, as I headed to bed the angel of weight came and visited me. My wife and son were in Florida, and I was finishing the rest of the pizza. (I’m already 290 pounds, what’s two more slices?) I looked up and the angel said, “lo, behold an obese man.”

And I was suddenly changed.

I got on-line with Nutrisystem. I had seen their ads and even had a flyer from one of the mailers, but I suddenly found myself picking out food on their website. Now I had thought of all the excuses: it’s too expensive, the food won’t taste good, it won’t work, I won’t have any energy, I’ll cheat anyway…you've heard them all before. You've made them all the before.

So I’ve decided to share my secrets on what works for me. And I’m convinced these same techniques will work for you. For the next few blogs, I’m going to tell you the best ways to lose 100 pounds.

Continued tomorrow.

No comments: