March 27, 2007

Cut 20% of your calories: Drink water.


That's more bad news for Americans when it comes to eating the RightSize.

About 21 percent of calories consumed by Americans over the age of 2 come from beverages, predominantly soft drinks and fruit drinks with added sugars, a recent study reported. There has been a huge increase in sugar-sweetened drinks in recent decades, primarily at the expense of milk, which has clear nutritional benefits. The calories from these sugary drinks account for half the rise in caloric intake by Americans since the late 1970s.

Not only has the number of servings of these drinks risen, but serving size has ballooned, as well, with some retail outlets offering 32 ounces and free refills.

Add the current passion for smoothies and sweetened coffee drinks (there are 240 calories in a 16-ounce Starbucks Caffe Mocha without the whipped cream), and you can see why people are drinking themselves into XXXL sizes.

What are the healthiest drinks with your meals?

Water, coffee and tea, and milk.

The NY Times reports: with the support of the Unilever Health Institute in the Netherlands (Unilever owns Lipton Tea), a panel of experts on nutrition and health published a “Beverage Guidance System” in hopes of getting people to stop drinking their calories when those calories contribute little or nothing to their health and may actually detract from it.

The panel, led by Barry M. Popkin, a nutrition professor at the University of North Carolina, was distressed by the burgeoning waistlines of Americans and the contribution that popular beverages make to weight problems. But the experts also reviewed 146 published reports to find the best evidence for the effects of various beverages on nearly all of the above health problems.

The panel concluded that water was the best beverage, followed by coffee and tea, then finally milk.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Hi Ralph...I am a Nutrisystem Loser too (I_hate_being_a_golfball). I just lost 30 pounds since January 9th and I owe it all to healthy eating, proper portions, and exercise. I doubt very much that I will go back to my old eating habits. I can't believe the amount of food I was consuming and I thought it was normal! It's commercial brainwashing! "If" I do go out to eat now (big IF), I usually order from the Kids menu because the portions are much smaller (and I give the extra toy to my son).

I think what you are doing to reestablish normal portions in America is AWESOME!!! Good luck with the rest of your weight loss and keep fighting this important fight! Way to go!

Your NS friend,
Jodi

Agile DJ said...

Jodi:

Thanks for your great comment. I know this is important. I know what portion control did for me and you and others. And we need to bring it back all across America.

Thank you for your support.